Thursday 20 January 2011

Making The Set Model

Seeing as the stage and proscenium arch fitted together nicely on the white foam board, I decided to go ahead and start the black model. My drawings were placed over the foam board and secured to it and I began cutting. (I did attempt to use AutoCAD for my technical drawings, but it didn’t work out, so I hand drew them. The only downside was that to save my original copies, I had to re-draw them so that I could use them as templates over the foam board.)

Once the main structure of the model box had been cut out and slotted together, I focussed on making the lighting rig.
This consisted of Cutting strips of foam board 5mm wide and slotting them together on the roof of the model box.



II then started on making the boxes. I cut around the template of the boxes and on a large strip of card started scoring lines to create a curve. I then manoeuvred the curved strip of card around the box template until I was happy that the curve stayed had in line with the base.

Straight piece of foam board were added and glued together to complete the shape. I cut out another box template to place on top of the structure; not only to strengthen it but also to enable me to stay at the right angle- as I’d only created the lower half of the box. The same procedure took place for the top half.

I know this seems like a complicated way to create the boxes, I’m sure there was an easier and more accurate way, however I did it creatively.
To work out the correct seating plan, I cut out the strips of foam board for the seats using my technical drawing to cut over. I then placed that over a large piece of foam board that was to be used as the base for the set model. Where the strips had been removed, I placed my foam board strips into the spaces- to hopefully get a more accurate positioning.

I cut out 5mm strips of thin card to place over visible foam. However, since the boxes have been added there will be more foam to cober up.


When the boxes were in place i covered them with black paper to hide the score marks. Unfortunately, in parts, some of the paper had become creased or wrinkled when glued together, which is a shame.








No comments:

Post a Comment