Thursday 20 January 2011

The Bookcase

In a previous post I mentioned what the important props and scenery were in my set. The key prop for my set would have to be the bookcase and the books within in.
I found a gothic-style Victorian bookcase image which I liked the look of and slightly adapted it. I cut out all the necessary pieces of white foam board to make the bookcase. These were then painted a light brown base coat, and later a darker brown coat. I used quite a coarse paintbrush, so that the fibers would create lines in the paint, to produce a wood grain effect.



I glued all the pieces together and then set to work making the books.
The books were made by measuring out and cutting pieces of white foam board, painted the foam part a yellow- cream colour (to give the effect of discoloured pages) and wrapped them in different coloured card or paper.

These were glued into place on the shelves of the bookcase. Just to add to the detail, I made sure some of the book were facing the wrong way on the shelf.



 I also wanted to have some open books on the floor. To make these I cut a rectangular piece of foamboard, slightly folded it in the middle, discoloured the edges and added a couple of pages to the middle. The pages were made from some handmade paper, and were then sewed to the middle of the book.


See bookcase bible sheet for more detail

No comments:

Post a Comment