Tuesday 18 January 2011

Gothic Victorian Interiors/Exteriors

Research into Gothic Victorian architecture and interiors and exteriors. See mood boards also.

I particularly like the dim glow of this Gothic interior.








Seeing as my genre is Gothic horror (in the Victorian era), I need to bring elements of horror into the set. For one, i would like to incorporate the wallpaper peeling effect, to emphasise the decay and unkempt look of the building. I would also like to include cobwebs, I'm not yet sure how I would make them.
I visited Dickens world back in November to have a look at how the place has been set out. Handy that it is set in the Victorian era. One of the attractions; Haunted house, had included a paint peel effect on the walls and the ceiling. I did take some pictures of this, typically they were too dark and nothing can be seen. The effect is similar to this:

Although i would want parts of the wallpaper to hang off, as if they have been pulled down slightly.
However i have got some pictures of the buildings set in the square. Excuse all the Christmas decorations, I happened to visit Dickens world during the Christmas season, so everyone was getting ready for Father Christmas.







Looking at Gothic Interiors/ Exteriors has reminded me of the set from The Addams Family. The family live in a gloomy mansion next to a cemetery and a swamp. They delight in the macabre, unaware that neighbours find them peculiar or frightening. Their home is a grand building, yet it is old and rickety. Similar to what I want to get across from my set.
Another example of the same genre is The Munsters. It was a 1960s American family sitcom depicting the home life of a family of ‘monsters’.
You can see from this image that the house is covered in cobwebs, adding the element of horror. Cobwebs and thick dust are usually signs of a creepy place, and are often seen in horror films.

No comments:

Post a Comment