Thursday 20 January 2011

Decaying Wall

The decaying wall was the next piece of scenery I made. The technique of creating a cracked wall really appealed to me, and would be useful in my set. Although Kapaline foam board would have been the ideal material to use, i had to make do with ordinary white foam board as i couldn't afford the Kapaline board.
I went to Wickes to get some fine surface filler as this really helped to achieve the texture on the pieces i'd done before.


I had bought some handmade paper, which i thought would be useful for the wallpaper. However I felt the cream colour was too plain. After giving it some thought, I painted stripes down the paper to act as a pattern. The stripes remind me of prison bars, which suggest imprisonment. The Queen could quite easily be seen as imprisoned in her own home, or even by her thoughts. The wallpaper is a reflection of her feelings. In fact quite a lot of the setting is a reflection of her feelings.

I then ripped at the wallpaper to make some of peel off. The surface filler underneath turned patchy when the paper was removed, which was an effect I wanted anyway, so luckily it happened to be produced naturally.
To add to the creepy, Gothic style I wanted to add in candlestick holders. In proper lighting they could create quite an ominous atmosphere.

Wire and 3mm dowel was used to create them. I also decided to use tissue paper for the flame.

Lastly, I made two triangle supports and attached them to the back of the wall to act as french braces.

Refer to Decaying Wall bible sheet for more detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment