Wednesday 24 November 2010

Genres

I have started to look into different genres for the narrative. My chosen genres are:
·         Science- fiction
·         Gothic Horror
·         Film Noir


The scene I have chosen to adapt is:
“The Queen Sat up all night, searching her brains for his name like someone sieving for gold. She went through every single name she could think of. She sent out a messenger to ask everywhere in the land for all the names that could be found. On the next day, when the little man came, she recited the whole alphabet of names that she’d learned, starting with Balthasar, Casper, Melchior... But to each one the little man said “That isn’t my name”.

If I am adapting this scene into a science-fiction genre, perhaps the scene would take place in a lab, where she is literally searching her brains- (brains in containers that are connected to a computer?)  If it is that far into the future, anything is possible.

A quick sketch showing idea.
The brains in the containers is similar to the preserved heads of characters in jars in TV program 'Futurama'. (Below)

 







     
Perhaps Rumpelstiltskin is in the form of a powerful computer system? A virus? The idea being that when she was first locked in the lab and told to make gold out of metal, she stumbles across a computer programme which she downloads. It is this programme that was able to create the gold; however, now becoming more powerful it is able to take control.
Just an idea...
The idea of a computer system taking control/overriding all computers, reminds me of the film ‘I, Robot’ (2004), in which computer system ‘V.I.K.I’s artificial intelligence has evolved, and is able to control all the robots.
V.I.K.I Virtual Interactive Kinetic Intelligence  
Screenshot from film 'I, Robot (2004) 




I have drawn out a quick spider diagram of the sci-fi genre.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment